Venture Concept Write-Up Guide
My idea is to provide a mobile water bottle delivery truck
for Puerto Ricans. I plan on investing around 5000 dollars into this venture. Depending
on the success I may invest more. However, I don’t see this lasting for more
duration than a few years. I am going to describe the opportunity, the innovation,
and the venture concept. Furthermore, I plan to describe smaller elements like
what my most important resource is and the future for not only my venture but
also myself.
There are many opportunities in the world that people can
solve. The opportunity that I ended up attempting to solve was the fact that Puerto
Rican citizens and Puerto Rican grocery stores have a lack of clean fresh water
to drink after the devastating Hurricane Irma. The potential customers are
people that have particularly high levels of water usage and would be willing
to buy clean water from any place. Furthermore, my customers will be
particularly lower income because they did not have enough money to stock up on
water before the hurricane. Water is needed for basic human needs like drinking
and cleaning. Without water people may die or resort to unlawful behavior to
get their hands on water. It appears America is not doing enough to give aid to
Puerto Rico. This forces people to find solutions themselves. Currently many
people drink dirty water and complain on social media about water treatment
plants and running water systems not working. Shifting gears, the officials of
Puerto Rico have declared months ago that water problems are diminishing. The residents
beg to differ, as many complaints on social media contradict what the local
government is saying. Taking what the government says is true as a conservative
estimate of how big the problem is, around “72% of Puerto Ricans now [have]
running water.” The population of Puerto Rico is 3.337 million people as of
2015; therefore, doing some simple calculations 934,360 people have issues with
water.
My innovation to solve this water issue is to have a truck
that acts like an ice cream truck for residents of Puerto Rico but selling
water rather than ice cream. This is not a radically innovative idea, which is an
advantage. People know what ice cream trucks are and don’t need to learn how they
operate. There won’t be any learning curves associated with my innovation which
translates to a quicker rate of adoption than more complex innovations. I plan to
buy bottled water in bulk. I can purchase each bottle at 86 cents. I plan to
buy $3,237.20 worth of bottles. If I sell the bottles at $4 a piece I can make a
profit of $3.14 per bottle. I can ship the bottles directly to Puerto Rico, so
there will be no costs for transporting them from the mainland. I also need to
rent a truck which will be costly. If I were to purchase this, it would be
around $3000-$8000. This is more capital than I currently have so I am going to
rent one for as cheap as possible. I would expect this to be around $750.
I plan on being a mobile water salesman in Puerto Rico. I
think that customers will switch to my product, at least for the short run, if
they have an absolute need for water. My prices are high to take advantage of
their inelastic demands. Someone is going to pay all the money they can if that
means they protect their family. I don’t think it will be hard for them to
switch in the short run, but in the long run when the water supplies are fixed
I don’t see the practicality of my service. The competitors are the water
utility companies, other people who have my same idea, grocery stores the have water
supply in Puerto Rico. The distribution of the water is huge for my business
plan. I plan on bringing water to people so it is convenient and easy for them
rather than having them go out and scavenge. They will be more likely to pay
higher prices if they have water right in front of them because people are risk
averse. They can take a higher price now or gamble and try to find limited
supplies at grocery stores or in supply drops. I plan on this company only
being myself.
My most important resource will be the truck. With the truck
I can find new people easily, I can transport water directly to people, and I have
a safe place for my water storage
.
I don’t see this venture lasting in the long term. This is supposed
to be a quick profit where I have no strings attached and nothing holding me
back. I want to be in and out of Puerto Rico as quick as possible making money
in a short amount of time.
In five years I want my venture to be completely finished
and making a profit around $50,000. As an entrepreneur in a decade I want to
continue doing small, quick, and easy to pull off ventures like I did right
here because I make money for little effort. This venture helps me achieve my
vision because it gives me a taste of what a fast paced business looks like.
I think you did a great job with the write up of this venture. After keeping up with your idea for awhile, it seems like you have a true vision for what this can become. I like how you keep it realistic, for example how you talk about it being a short run with this specific venture because the opportunity won’t be there much more in the future, along with it being a quick profit.
ReplyDelete