9A - Continuing Your Opportunity Research
Who: People that are in areas that have sufficient water or weren’t
extremely devastated by the hurricane. Although the may need water eventually,
they might not want it right now because their money could be going to other
options (Food, energy, etc.). People that have cheaper sources of water to
purchase from.
What: the need I identified differs from another need based
on a basic level. For example, people will not consume water if they are not
thirsty. They may stockpile it, but nobody drinks unless they need the water.
Another example relates to hunger. Nobody would drink water to satisfy their
hunger, they would eat food. People eventually want a long term solution.
Things like an infrastructure renovation. I wont be able to provide that.
Why: The underlying cause of the outsiders’ need is different
than those on the inside because the outsiders have less of an immediate need
for water. They may be using it for safety or a safeguard in the future. For example,
when hurricanes come and hit Jacksonville my family stocks up on water for the short term. We don't have much plan for the long term. If our stockpile was sufficient, our most persistent need would be a fixed water infrastructure, not short term clean water.
|
Inside
the Boundary
|
Outside
the Boundary
|
|
Who
is in
Puerto Ricans that have had their clean water supply impacted by
hurricane. People that are running low on their water supplies
|
Who
is not
Puerto Ricans that have not had their water impacted by the
hurricane. People that already have help from the government or other entrepreneurs.
|
|
What
the need is
Need for an immediate relief in the water supply of an area.
|
What
the Need is Not
Need for a long-term supply of water. This solution is only for short
term problems.
|
|
Why
the Need Exists
Life relies on water, without water these people do not satisfy their
physiological needs and could lead to other dangerous implications: crime, looting,
etc.
|
Alternative
Explanations
People may not want water from me specifically, could be that I am a
poor salesman or there is some bias against me.
|
Mitch,
ReplyDeleteI still think this is a great opportunity that you’re addressing. I also think, based on the who, what, and why that you used the interviews that you conducted to appropriately peg each of these categories. I find your outside the boundary section especially interesting because, while true, it makes it evident that those outside the boundary as so few. At least those who are in Puerto Rico. I think you did this assignment well!
Hey Mitch,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your second part of testing the hypothesis. You did an excellent job stating the inside the boundary as long as the outside. Your alternate explanation outside the boundary made me laugh as your made a good point. If I were in the situation though, I do not think I would be picky where my water came from as long as it was clean and sanitary. Good job!