Thursday, February 22, 2018

13A - Reading Reflection No. 1

13A Reading Reflection No. 1
Grinding it Out: The Making of McDonald’s
Ray Kroc

1.
What surprised you the most?
I didn’t realize that he was initially a salesman. I had no idea what this mans background was but it gives me hope that you don’t have to have the best education or the most elite job to be a billionaire. You just have to be at the right place at the right time with the right work ethic.

What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
I admire his business philosophy. He had a tough-minded business philosophy and he stuck with that his whole career. He never strayed from his values of courtesy, cleanliness, and service while creating his fast-food empire.

What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
He seemed to take advantage of the brothers in almost an evil or vicious way. He definitely was cut throat.

Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
He encountered adversity initially from his wife. She did not believe that he should give up his job in order to pursue selling Multimixers to dairy bars throughout America. He followed his dream anyway and sold Multimixers to bars to start his business adventures.

2. What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?

He is extremely curious. This curiosity led him to be extremely observant of the world which actually led to him finding out about this new restaurant called McDonalds that was an efficient and effective business. From there he took the things he observed and was social and confident enough to talk with the owners that he learned from them about their business.

3. Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.

The reading was done in a first person perspective years after the events happened. I am not sure if the thoughts and conversations are as accurate as the book makes it seem.

4. If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?

What was the most significant turning point in your professional life?
What was the most important piece of advice someone has given you?
These questions would help me in my entrepreneurial adventure the most.

5. What do you think the entrepreneur’s opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?


He embraced hard work and believed that anyone in the United States has the ability to reach their reasonable goals. I believe I share that opinion because I feel exactly the same way about reaching reasonable goals. I am a goal oriented person and I have set goals consistently for myself throughout my life. For example, my goal of becoming a personal trainer is a month away from completion. If you would have asked me if I could have done this a year ago I would not have thought I would be able to. But I embraced the grind just like I embrace the grind for any other goal I set for myself. If I want something, I go and get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment