12A Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1
Segment: Residents living within 10 miles of San Juan,
Puerto Rico whose water supply has been impacted by the hurricane.
Summaries: I found in my interviews that many people have created
unique ways to save water. Some people have issues bathing because of the
significant amount of water it uses. For most they limit showers and baths as
much as possible to conserve their fresh water for drinking. Other people have
gone to a rationing system because they are not sure when the next supply of
water will come to the market. Furthermore, once this water gets to the market
there are large lines to get to it, thus making the opportunity cost of
searching for water huge. This is undoubtedly a horrible way to live.
Conclusions: This may actually hurt my profits though, if
people are willing to go to this extent to save water they may have a better
supply of water than I realized. I didn’t take into account the fact that
people will adapt their lifestyles as best as possible to give them the best
opportunity to survive. I initially thought people would live normal lives with
less water. I now realize that this hurricane hits every aspect of someone’s
life.
Mitch,
ReplyDeleteI think its great that you learned something you weren't expecting from these interviews. I had no idea there was such a bad water supply issue in Puerto Rico. The hurricane happened so long ago in my perspective, I cant imagine the conditions they are living in and have been since they got hit.
Hey Mitch. I think you did a good job in your segment by interviewing people within ten miles of San Juan, Puerto Rico. I think you found out a lot about your segment by doing the interviews and it is unfortunate you found out it may hurt your profits. It is amazing the things humans will do to survive and the hurricane was a good example how people survived with a limited supply of water.
ReplyDeleteHey Mitch,
ReplyDeleteI think the segment you chose was a good choice for your opportunity, and it was interesting to hear the summary of your conversation. I like how you acknowledge that their extent of conservation can hurt your opportunity idea. It’s incredible how necessary one aspect of a persons life can be to make it ‘normal’. I still think your idea is a good one.